Saturday, January 19, 2013

Finally the weekend!

Saturday night is one of my favorite nights in the Team PirateFrog household.  DT works Tues-Saturday thus Saturday night is our Friday night.  After he gets home, DT normally goes for a run, then we have a nice sit down dinner.  Tonight I found inspiration from two places.  On my 45min commute to CSCC's campus I like to listen to audio books.  Right now I'm listening to Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews.  One of the characters, Andrea, has lunch at a BBQ pit.  She professes the reason why the ribs are so tasty is due to the brine.  Brine?  I brine chicken breasts and turkeys but ribs?  I broke out the Google-fu and found Jason's BBQ Adventures.  It looked so tasty so I followed the recipe for brine and rub.  It's in the oven now and smells wonderful!

Dinner did take a bit longer than normal so I decided to treat DT to deviled eggs.  This pin has been floating around Pinterest and this is the second time I have baked my hard-boiled eggs.  The recipe states that you have to use fresh eggs and it's correct.  I used two older eggs and 6 that I had just purchased tonight.  The older ones cracked and when we went to peal them the shell stuck and they were not conducive to deviled eggs.  DT hoovered his eggs up while I made the coleslaw and cornbread. 

The Plum and Bourbon ice cream turned out well.  I was lazy and used store purchased jam.  I thought the ice cream base had too much of a custard feel but DT loved it.  After sampling the recipe I can say that if you like bourbon, add a 2nd shot to the base.  The ice cream still froze nicely with the extra alcohol.  Next time I think I will use a vanilla base recipe if I go the store bought route for the jam.  Plums just aren't in season in Ohio year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment