Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thanksgiving

Ever since my life changed thanks in part to the cervical dysplasia, Thanksgiving has had new meaning. Thanksgiving means running shoes and thermal running tights.  For the past four years I have been getting out of cooking dinner by running in the Flying Feather Four Miler. Last year DT joined me in the Thanksgiving tradition. He was nice enough to run with me last year. However this year DT wanted to WIN. Not only did he want to win but he also wanted to run with the gazelles...dressed like a bunny rabbit. As much as I wanted to see him with a poofy tail, I just couldn't find bunny ears.

So I dressed him as a turkey instead which is more appropriate for a turkey trot. I used burlap and dowel rods and assembled the tail like a fan. Unlike the blueprint, I just stitched around the edges of the feathers and the dowel rods. My mom knitted DT a red scarf which because it was over 50 degrees the day of the race, almost caused him to overheat. Normally it's in the 30's during the race, last year it rained/snowed so I planned for the worst when I designed his costume. I felt bad but DT was a trooper and didn't ditch the scarf.  His post race report of the costume revealed that for next year, the arm loops need to be tighter.  I also want to make the tail feathers a brighter yellow/orange/red.

I finished at 41:49. Not too shabby, but by no means a PR (personal record) on the course. This just means I have room for improvement for 2013!

PS:  DT finished in 26:55 and in 61st place out of 4,000 even with a turkey tail!
PPS: You can sign up for 2013 Feather here!  Where else are you going to get a long sleeve technical shit, hat, gloves AND A BOTTLE OF WINE AT THE FINISH LINE!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment