Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Granola Experiment



DT eats granola every morning.  I mean EVERY morning.  He can also eat the same thing for dinner every night and not mind.  I think his short term memory is shot.  On weekends I had to institute a new rule:  no granola.  It's expensive and since we eat 2 boxes every week, the food bill was getting out of hand.  Let's face it, feeding a 6'4" giant is no cheap feat!

I mentioned in a previous post about my new cookbook Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution (thanks Mom!) and I found a granola recipe that looked tasty.  Doubts because some of the ingredients can be expensive but since I'm on the injured reserve list, I have some time on my hands.

The Recipe:
2 c. quick oats
1 heaped cup mixed nuts (I used almonds)
1/4 c mixed seeds (I used sunflower and pumpkin)
3/4c unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2c dried fruit
5 Tbsp maple syrup or honey (I used maple syrup)
5 Tbsp olive oil

*not in the recipe but I added some rolled barley flakes since I had some in my pantry.

Preheat the oven to 350.  Mix the dry ingredients but not the fruit on a sheet pan.  Stir well and drizzle in the maple syrup and olive oil.  Bake for 25-30 mins, stirring every 5 mins.  While the granola is baking, chop any large fruit.  When it is nice and golden, take it out of the oven and mix in the fruit.  Let it cool down and store in an airtight container.  Will keep for up to 2 weeks.  This filled up 2 1qt mason jars.

The cost:
**I used package weights so my math will be wrong on some items  I do not have a scale in my kitchen**
 Quaker Oats: $6.99? for 42oz.  Cost per batch: $2.656
Almonds: (Aldi) $3.99 for 12oz. Cost per batch: $2.66
Seeds: Sunflower  (Whole Foods) $2.69 for 16 oz  Cost per batch $.224
           Pumpkin (Whole Foods) $3.69 for 8oz Cost per batch $.46
Coconut: (Whole Foods) $3.69 for 5 cups  Cost per batch $.56
Cinnamon:  ??  It was in my pantry
1 1/2c dried fruit:  I used 2:  a mix from Aldi (entire mixed berry 8oz) $2.49 for 8oz and Dates (1/2c)  $1.99 for 8oz Cost per batch $3.00
Maple syrup and olive oil were in the pantry.

Next time I'm in Kroger I will need to look up the cost of the oats and the exact cost of the granola.  If I continue to make this, I need to find a cheaper source of oats and dried fruit.

Total cost per batch:  $9.56 for 7 cups (56oz) of granola.  This is $.17 per oz.  I pay around $3.50? for 16oz ($.21 per oz) so I think that the Granola Experiment is successful.  I just have to wait until morning to see if DT likes the recipe!

UPDATE:  I don't eat sweet things for breakfast and this is leaving me wishing that I used some honey in addition to the maple syrup.  I also think I over roasted so make sure you are checking every 5 mins and rotating like the recipe says.  I had my timer go off and I was slow to get to the oven so I had it in for around 30.

UPDATE 2:  I made a second batch this morning with the following edits:  Oven temp 325.  Total cook time: 20 mins; turning every 5 mins. This time I used honey- you know the old nasty kind that gets solid in the bottom of an old honey bear?  Yeah, that stuff!  I microwaved the bottle for 10 seconds and drizzled on the 5 Tbs.  Best way to use "old" crystallized honey!  I also sprinkled some brown sugar on the top since DT asked how much I used the first time.

Happy Breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment