Friday, January 28, 2011

PSA: Super Hero Health

Many of my friends know I had a high grade cervical dysplasia in 2008. The dysplasia was caused by HPV, a virus that is sexually transmitted. I first found out I had HPV when I had a Pap come back positive. From there the doctor did a Colposcopy and taking a look with the microscope, she preformed a biopsy. I can tell you that none of this was fun. It was agonizing waiting around for results and tests. There was so much poking and prodding going on that I came to resent being a woman. It is so frustrating to feel perfectly fine but know that you may be carrying a time bomb deep inside your core.

On March 4th, 2008 the doctor preformed a loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP). This is where they cut away the effected tissue. It was this moment, lying in the doctor's office staring at the the fluorescent lights and smelling my burning flesh that I knew I never wanted any other woman to have to go through this process. The procedure is uncomfortable to say the least. The recovery is worse.

I was lucky. I still am lucky. My dysplasia never developed into a tumor, never wandered off, infecting other organs. Sure there have been some complications but nothing that I couldn't face.

I want to make women everywhere aware of how important it is to have a pap done every year. No skipping because you don't want to or you don't like going to the doctor and having your feet in the stirrups. I can 100% tell you that what I experienced is worse than any slight discomfort a pap will bring you.

So now you know and knowing is half the battle.

In promotion of HPV and Cervical Cancer awareness I will be riding in the Pelotonia. This is a two day 180 mile bike ride. Each rider pledges to raise $2,200 that will go directly to the James Cancer Research Hospital here in Columbus, Ohio. In the coming weeks and months I will begin training for this grueling ride. I will ask for your support, best wishes and donations. Help me get the word out. Help me enable others to find a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment