Friday, January 21, 2011

Crown

I love working with Wonderflex. There is just so much you can do with it.

First I cut out the crown shape out of Foamie. In order to get it to bend slightly in the front I scored the back side of the shape with a pen, creating a groove. Looking at the reference picture I want some raised detail in the crown so I cut out the raised detail out of a second layer of foamie. Gluing the raised detail to the crown, I set it aside to dry.

Next I cut out the crown shape out of WF. I cut out a second crown but add about an inch all the way around.

Heating the WF on low, I melt the crown shape softly on one side. It is pliable and starts to get a glossy sheen to it. This lets me know that it's ready to stick to the foamie. I gently pressed it to the back edge of the foamie, making sure to bend both foamie and WF along the groove. You need to go slow here, making sure that the WF isn't too hot. I tend to work in small sections. WF does NOT always stick to foamie, sometimes when it's cooled down, you can peal the foamie away so make sure you are gentle. If you are going to use my method to get built up detail make sure you encase the foamie in WF.

After the crown is cooled and hard I heat the front crown cut out. Remember how we cut this with an extra 1" around it? That is so we can wrap it around and 'stick' it to the back of the crown. Heating the WF on low on one side of the crown I wait until it's shiny and then start wrapping. I use a wooden clay sculpting tool to get into the detail and cracks. I used my thumbnail to get inside the circles.



Here is an up close shot of the raised detail after I've given it 2 coats of primer spray. I will use my nail sanding sponge to sand it down, hit it with another shot of primer, sand again then paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment