Sunday, February 3, 2013

Two Birds, One Stone

One of my major's requirements is a Growth and Human Development psychology class.  It's worth 3 credit hours and the biggest time sink of this semester.  It's a good class as far as knowledge however along with class work it also requires 10 credit hours of volunteer work.  I was able to work out with my professor that I could use my pending membership in the Heroes Alliance as part of my volunteer work since I had not done an event with them prior to the class.  PERFECT!  I love costumes, they allow me to interact with children in a way that I'm familiar with and I get to show off my costuming skills.   

My first event with the Heroes Alliance was the Stroll for Epilepsy

 We had a great time with the kids and got involved in Zumba, dancing and other activities.  I'm wearing Ms. Marvel, a suit that I'm not happy with.  I love the hand dyed silk scarf sash but I'm working on a new way to color block the lighting bolt.

We went outside to get a few "Super People in the Snow" photos.  I totally forgot that I didn't exactly have warm clothing on.  Superman was kind enough to let me borrow his cape until we made it back inside.



My second event with the Heroes Alliance was this weekend at the Chili Open at the Columbus Zoo.  The event is a huge fundraiser for many charities in the area.  The Team was thankfully inside in the children's area.  We had a great time interacting with the children- lots of ways to interact and keep the kids happy while the parents were able to eat, drink and donate.  True to form I was DDRing with the kids and hula hooping and well, acting like a kid!   I wore a borrowed Black Canary body suit but the jacket, boots and tights are my own.  I have a bodysuit but it just isn't ready yet.






 I had to take a few Canary Cry photos at the Eagle exhibit. 


 I like goofing off, Disney pun intended.  Disney purchased Marvel and Rogue and I couldn't resist posing with THE MOUSE outside of the Disney Store.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment