Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ms Marvel

Inspired by this pin I decided to try a new way of color blocking my Ms Marvel costume.  So far I've been using Pellon's Fuse and Tear.  It was super expensive at Joanns ($16) so I'm glad I downloaded Joann's iphone app and used a 50% off coupon.  I did notice that Walmart carries Sulky's version for $11.88 if you want to use what is in the pin.  It is a pain to pick out the paper from the stitches but WOW does it look amazing.

Some tips:
  • Test iron a piece first
  • Use your "straight stretch stitch" instead of a zigzag!   Here is what it looks like on my $90 Walmart Singer.  It's the blue lines and it looks like three stitches next to eachother.  LIFE CHANGING discovery!  I will never use a zigzag ever again for top stitching spandex
  • Use fuse and tear in strips to help put in zippers!  I ironed a strip 1.5 inches wide on the front and back side and I have never had an invisible zipper go in so smoothly on spandex before.
  • Watch your seam allowance.  I got too close to the edge and when I put the suit on, the fabric pulled away from the yellow.  I had to pick out all of the stitching and re-iron and re-sew.  It was a time sink!  Make sure you draw your seam allowance onto the paper to avoid this issue.
Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment