Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cap City Half Marathon

In my Christmas stocking I found an entry to the Capital City Half Marathon.  Thanks DT!  He knows that without the race motivation, I can become...inactive in the winter months.  I am not the best runner but have always preached that triathletes need to swim like swimmers, bike like cyclists and run like runners.  This year I'm going to suck it up, take my own advise and learn how to run like a runner.  H2OLupa, my fellow Delawarian, gave me a membership to Front Runner's training club.  Not only do you get a training plan but you also get a pace group to run with, how to run lessons along the way and all the support a runner needs.  Front Runner's program is an 18 week long program that takes you from running 10ish miles a week to really racing 13.1 miles.  Today was day 3:  2 miles.  This is the first time I've run back to back days and I'm slightly worried.  Previous years I have run every other or every 3rd day, with an average mileage of 10ish miles a week.  Today I didn't exactly feel as light as a leaf on the wind.  I felt like a lump of a woman, running through slippery snow quicksand.  Not every day can you feel like a god when you tie on your running shoes.  A bad day on the road is better than a good day in front of the tv!

I run in Newton's Terra Monentum and have been in them since August.  I can't say enough good things about Newton footwear.  Colorful would be the first thing that pops into my mind, but comfortable is the overall word.  The idea is to have a shoe that helps you run on the forefoot instead of heel striking.  I changed from heel striking to fore foot running 2 years ago and it's been wonderful on my knees.  Anyone who is making the switch should look into Newton's Isaac shoe- it's made for run/walkers who are learning how to fore foot strike.

On a side note:  I would like to thank the Hiram Lodge 18 for having the BEST sidewalks in downtown Delaware.  They beat out all 3 churches and OWU in snow/ice removal.





No comments:

Post a Comment